Diversity and inclusion are becoming increasingly important in our modern work environment. And as the workforce continues to become more diverse, companies must foster a welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone. One way to do this is through disability awareness training courses.
This article will explain the importance of disability awareness training courses and how your company and employees can benefit from them.
Why Is Disability Awareness Important in the Workplace?
Disability awareness is vital in each company because it helps provide a more inclusive environment. By raising awareness of the experiences and needs of employees with disabilities, companies can create a more understanding and supportive environment for all employees.
In addition to making employees feel valued and included, there are also business benefits to disability awareness at work. Studies have shown that companies embracing a culture of equality are doubling sales and quadrupling profits compared to others.
There are also many additional business benefits to creating an inclusive workplace, including:
- Increased productivity
- Greater creativity and innovation
- Improved employee morale and motivation
- Improved employee retention rates
What Is Covered in Disability Training Courses?
While there are many types of disability awareness training, some common topics include:
- Impacts of disabilities in the workplace
- Types of disabilities and hidden disabilities
- How to tackle stereotypes, disability discrimination, and misconceptions about people with disabilities
- How non-disabled employees can support their colleagues
- Ways to create a more inclusive environment for all
Disability training courses can be delivered in several ways, including e-learning courses, webinars, or face-to-face workshops. Remember to choose the training that will work best for your employees and organization.
How to Prepare for a Disability Training Course in the Workplace
If you’re thinking of furthering your events with disability awareness in your workplace, you may have decided that you want to provide training for your employees. But there are a few things you need to consider. Here are some steps worth taking to host disability awareness training in your workplace:
- Assess the needs of your company. The first step may seem straightforward, but you will want to assess your organization's needs. Have you held regular 1:1s with your employees to discuss their needs or what they want to see more of? You will also need to narrow down your specific goals for introducing disability awareness training and what you hope to achieve. Once you have a list of goals, you can start learning about training programs that will fit your requirements.
- Choose the right training format. As mentioned above, there are several different formats for disability awareness training, and you will want to choose the one that works best for your company and employees. If you own a large company, you may want to consider an e-learning or webinar format that employees can complete in their own time by a specific deadline.
- Find an accredited training provider. When looking for a training provider, you’ll want to ensure that the provider you choose is accredited and has experience delivering disability awareness training. This will ensure that you give your employees the training they need to create a more inclusive workplace.
- Book the disability awareness training course. Once you speak with a few different training providers, narrow down the one you like most and book the course for your employees. You can then inform them of the upcoming training and requirements.
Disability Awareness Training Courses with The Simmons Advantage
The Simmons Advantage is here to help your team foster an inclusive and empowering environment for all workers. Check out our approach to get a better idea of what we do or schedule a consultation with one of our specialists.
We can support your team in the development of inclusive job skills training programs for your employees with disabilities.